All You Should Know About Cosmetic Dentistry
The 21st century thrives on aesthetic appeal and visual communication. It is why everyone is concerned with how they look and how it affects their self-confidence. Fortunately, teeth do not have to mess up your self-confidence thanks to cosmetic dentistry.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
It is a specialty in dentistry concerned with dental care to improve the overall appearance of teeth ideally, it focuses more on how teeth look and feel, more than how they function. However, in the process of improving the appearance, cosmetic dentistry also boosts the functionality of teeth. A cosmetic dentist in Philly cannot deny you the services thereof, regardless of how bad you think your teeth look.
What Problems Are Covered In Cosmetic Dentistry?
Since cosmetic dentistry us about the aesthetic outlook of teeth, Philly dentists can address a myriad of dental flaws. Some of the problems corrected in cosmetic dentistry include:
- 1. Discoloration of teeth – some stains on teeth cannot be removed with mere brushing every day. Some of the stains caused by medication, hard water acids, and highly pigmented foods require expert intervention. In cosmetic dentistry, such can be corrected through different treatments and procedures, including, professional teeth whitening, dental veneers or dental crowns. The choice of which method to use mostly depends on the dentist’s recommendation, as well as your preference.
- 2. Decayed teeth – cavities and tooth decays are not pleasant to the eyes. In that case, a dentist in cosmetic dentistry will find different solutions to correct the problem. This may include dental crowns, veneers, and dental fillings, among other procedures. For these problems, your dentist will recommend other procedures for permanent treatment. For example, root canal therapy and tooth extraction are suitable for patients with severe tooth decay. Such teeth require treatment to restore functionality before the cosmetic treatments are performed.
- 3. Gaps between teeth – whether you are missing a tooth or the alignment thereof has caused uneven spacing, it is a cosmetic downer. The gaps also pose other dental health problems, like gum disease. Correcting gaps between teeth often depend on why the gaps exist. For the most part, cosmetic dentistry will indulge in treatment options like using dental veneers, bridges, and crowns. Other intense treatments like orthodontics can also be offered to close large gaps in between teeth.
- 4. Misshapen teeth – the shapes and sizes of teeth can be correct in aesthetic dentistry. It involves using molded dental veneers or dental crowns to improve the shapes. This provides a more even bite on both arcs of the mouth.
- 5. Gummy smile – this happens when patients have too much gum tissue showing when they smile. It makes the teeth look smaller, and is not aesthetically appealing. Such cases are treated through gum reduction surgery that reduces the gum tissue to a cosmetically and dentally acceptable level.
Who Needs Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic transformation of the teeth is offered to patients who want it, rather than need it. For the most part, most cosmetic procedures for your teeth are not compulsory or a necessity. They are based on personal preferences and desires.
However, if you are regular at the dental clinic, your dentist might suggest one or two cosmetic procedures that you may like. Besides, some restorative dental treatments can have cosmetic improvements in teeth.
Technically, cosmetic dental care is common for adults than children. This is because children are still developing and they will have a new set of teeth with age. However, teenagers too can benefit from this arm of dentistry, with consent from their parents or guardians.
Why Is Cosmetic Dentistry Important?
Most people may not find cosmetic dentistry useful for them. Some even consider it a luxurious phenomenon. However, cosmetic dentistry is important for some of the following reasons:
- 1. Confidence boost – in the 21st century, high confidence levels allow you to transcend through different stages of life. A beautiful smile will give you the confidence you need to go about life.
- 2. Correct bite – defects on your teeth can cause an improper bite. Cosmetic dentistry might improve the bite depending on the treatments you get.
- 3. Oral hygiene – the health of your mouth starts with hygiene. The cosmetic dentistry procedures are anchored on great oral hygiene to keep the mouth clean and healthy.